Dr. David G. Morris Park on Broadway at 47th St. Bayonne.
A former used car lot, the park opened for the first time in 1980, one year after
Dr.Morris retired, to celebrate his 52 years of service.
Although Morris began his medical practice in Bayonne in 1926, he was
honored not only for his long years of service, but for his number of
accomplishments - especially as a member and president of the Bayonne
chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
After his retirement, Morris was honored by the University of Vermont, from
which he graduated as the "Outstanding Physician of the Year" for 1982.
Born in Florida, Morris attended Lincoln University in Pennsylvania before
finishing his medical studies at the University of Vermont. He interned in St.
Louis, Mo., and then moved to Bayonne in 1926.
During the 1930s, Dr. Morris began teaching health classes to residents and
helped establish the Bayonne Youth Center.
Over the years, Dr. Morris has been credited with working to desegregate
Bayonne theaters, restaurants, and other places of business, and was
instrumental in helping members of the African American community complete
their education and to find jobs. He sometimes even gave his own money to
During the early days of the Bayonne Boys Club, Dr. Morris often paid the rent
on the building to help keep it open.
For many years, Dr. Morris also served as the president of the medical staff at
Bayonne Hospital, and was highly regarded by local churches of every faith. He
was also a member of local, county, and state medical societies.
From: A park in his name Dr. Morris remembered at park party
by Al Sullivan- Hudson Reporter
To contact MPNA please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our current park
provides a lot of
and picnic areas,
as well as a stage